* Quentin Miller was packing up preparing to move from his home in Medford, N.J. to join the Tar Heel baseball program when a call from the Pittburgh Pirates front office changed his destination to Bradenton, Fla. to join the Gulf Coast Pirates. Inside Carolina caught up with the UNC signee pitcher on his way to the airport shortly after signing his contract with the team for a $900,000 signing bonus.
"Honestly it kind of started coming up again yesterday," Miller said. "Talks had been dead for a couple of weeks. They made a ballpark range of a set offer on a set number and I was set to go to school. I was very excited for school with all of my stuff all ready to go. Yesterday they called and things picked up from there out of nowhere. They said that they had the money - it was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make and they gave me an offer I could not turn down."
Miller did guarantee in his deal that he will not miss out on the opportunity to attend college after his pro career. "Once I am done playing baseball they will pay for my college - it was a big deal, we wanted to make sure that was part of the package." His signing was quite significant for the Pirates since they were able to draft him in the 20th round (594th) because of concerns about his signability.
"I made it known from the beginning that I was set for going to school,” Miller said. “I am sure that did help some with the negotiations because I really was not budging. I was up front with Coach Fox and Forbes about what it would take to sign me. Pittsburgh made some offers before that and I turned them down because I was going to school - in the end they came up with the money and I had to take it."
* Tim Melville told Inside Carolina on Friday that he has decided to sign with the Kansas City Royals.
* Baseball America is reporting that Garrison Lassiter has signed with the New York Yankees organization.
* Three signees -- Jason Knapp, Derrik Gibson and L.J. Hoes -- decided to sign with MLB teams earlier this summer.
* Signees Matt Harrison and Jimmy Messer informed Inside Carolina on Friday evening that they are not signing with MLB teams and are enrolling at UNC. The other two signees enrolling are Seth Baldwin and Jacob Stallings. They will be joined by two additional committed prospects -- Jeff May and Landon Adams -- plus incoming transfer Ryan Norton.
* For further details on Tar Heel recruiting, head to Inside Carolina's Diamond Heels Forum.