Here are some notes from Carolina's eighth loss in 10 games, and fifth consecutive defeat overall.
- With the victory, Clemson now leads the all-time series 32-18-1.
- The Tigers have won two consecutive games in Chapel Hill. They defeated
UNC 38-24 in 2000.
- With the loss, UNC finished the season winless at home for the first time
since going 0-4 in 1952. This fall's 0-6 mark is the worst overall home season
in school history.
- UNC has now been outscored 162-25 in the last 14 quarters dating back to
its 21-0 halftime lead at Virginia.
- UNC has been outscored 120-12 in the second half of its last five games.
- Carolina finishes the season having been outscored 235-91 at home. The average
score at Kenan Stadium this fall: Opponents 39, Tar Heels 15.
- Since UNC's 21-13 loss to Georgia Tech on Sept. 28, the Tar Heels have been
outscored 238-101, which is an average margin of 39.6-16.8.
- Just five of UNC's 22 TDs on the season have come on the ground, and one
of those was a fumble recovery by center Jason Brown in the loss to Texas.
However, Carolina has given up 30 rushing TDs on the campaign.
- Sam Aiken's 8 receptions give him 58 for the year, a new UNC single-season
record, breaking the previous mark of 55 set by Na Brown in both 1997 and
- Aiken's 58 receiving yards puts him just 85 short of equaling Carolina's
single-season record of 970 set by Octavus Barnes in 1995.
- Aiken's 8 receptions gives him 136 for his career, which puts him at 5th
in school history. Next in line: Kory Biley (139), Leon Johnson (151), Corey
Holliday (155), and Na Brown (165).
- Aiken's 58 receiving yards now gives him 885 on the season, and 2,100 for
his career, putting him at 3rd all time in UNC history. Next in line: Octavus
Barnes (2,398) and Corey Holliday (2,447).
- Darian Durant, out for the season with an injury, will finish the season
with 3,703 passing yards for his career, good for 6th all-time in school history.
Next on the list: Chris Keldorf (3,795), Matt Kupec (3,840), Mike Thomas (4,368),
Jason Stanicek (4,683), and Ronald Curry (4,987).
- Durant has 266 completions for his career, good for 8th on UNC's all-time
list. Next in line: Scott Stankavage (272), Kevin Anthony (296), Mike Thomas
302, Chris Keldorf (305), Matt Kupec (305), Ronald Curry (345), and Jason
- Durant also finishes with 32 TD passes for his career, which puts him 3rd
in school history. Next in line: Matt Kupec (33) and Chris Keldorf (35).
- Entering this weekend's action, UNC's strength of schedule is ranked as
the fourth most difficult in the nation according to the Sagarin rankings.
- Free safety Dexter Reid entered the Maryland game leading the ACC with an
average of 13.4 tackles per game and now holds UNC's single-season record
of tackles by a defensive back. His 121 tackles betters the 118 by Billy-Dee
Greenwood in 1999.
- Entering this weekend's game, the Tar Heels were on pare to set the school
record for passing yards in a season, averaging 280.9 yards per game. The
previous record was set in 1997 when UNC averaged 261.8 yards per game.
- Entering the Clemson game, UNC was averaging 381.5 yards per game, its highest
since averaging 196.5 in 1995.
- ACC teams reaching bowl games since 1992: FSU 10, UNC 8, Clemson 7, Virginia
7, N.C. State 6, Georgia Tech 5, Wake Forest 2, Duke 1, Maryland 1
Senior writer Andrew Jones is in his seventh year with Inside Carolina.
He hosts a late afternoon radio show on ESPN Radio, WMFD AM630 in Wilmington
and can be reached via e-mail at: AndrewJones@AM630.net.