Here are some notes from UNC's seventh loss in nine games, and fifth in as many
Atlantic Coast Conference games.
- The loss also assures the Tar Heels of just their second losing season since
1989. UNC was 3-8 in 1999.
- With the loss, UNC now leads the all-time series with Maryland 35-29-1.
- Maryland's 59 points was the most ever by an opponent at Kenan Stadium.
Texas previously set the record less than two months ago when the Longhorns
beat the Heels 52-21. It was also the most points Maryland has ever scored
- Over the past four seasons, in which UNC has beaten Maryland just once,
the Terps have outscored Carolina 133-34. The Heels have scored just 7, 13,
7, and 7 points in those meetings.
- The Terps have outscored the Tar Heels 82-14 over the last two seasons.
In each game UNC scored on its first possession, only to be shut out the rest
of the way.
- UNC is now 0-5 at home. If the Tar Heels lose at home to Clemson next week
they will finish the season winless at home. Not even Mack Brown's first two
teams, which of which went 1-10, went without a victory at home.
- UNC has now been outscored <<<120-13 ((52-7 included))>>>
in the last 10 quarters dating back to the Virginia game when the heels led
21-0 at the intermission.
- UNC has been outscored 99-6 in the second half of its last four games.
- Just five of UNC's 22 TDs on the season have come on the ground, and one
of those was a fumble recovery by center Jason Brown in the loss to Texas.
- Aiken's 10 receptions gives him 128 for his career, which puts him at 6th
in school history. Next in line: Octavus Barnes (129), and Kory Biley (139).
- Aiken's 102 receiving yards now gives him 827 on the season, and 2,042 for
his career, putting him at 4th all time in UNC history. Next in line: Na Brown
(2,086), Octavus Barnes (2,398), and Corey Holliday (2,447).
- Darian Durant, out for the season with an injury, will finish the season
with 3,703 passing yards for his career, good for 6th all-time in school history.
Next on the list: Chris Keldorf (3,795), Matt Kupec (3,840), Mike Thomas (4,368),
Jason Stanicek (4,683), and Ronald Curry (4,987).
- Durant has 266 completions for his career, good for 8th on UNC's all-time
list. Next in line: Scott Stankavage (272), Kevin Anthony (296), Mike Thomas
302, Chris Keldorf (305), Matt Kupec (305), Ronald Curry (345), and Jason
- Durant also finishes with 32 TD passes for his career, which puts him 3rd
in school history. Next in line: Matt Kupec (33) and Chris Keldorf (35).
- Entering this weekend's action, UNC's strength of schedule is ranked as
the fourth most difficult in the nation according to the Sagarin rankings.
- Free safety Dexter Reid entered the Maryland game leading the ACC with an
average of 13.9 tackles per game and is just seven tackles shy of equaling
UNC's single season record for a defensive back, set by Billy-Dee Greenwood
- Entering this weekend's game, the Tar Heels were on pare to set the school
record for passing yards in a season, averaging 286.8 yards per game. The
previous record was set in 1997 when UNC averaged 261.8 yards per game.
- ACC teams reaching bowl games since 1992: FSU 10, UNC 8, Clemson 7, Virginia
7, N.C. State 6, Georgia Tech 5, Wake Forest 2, Duke 1, Maryland 1.
- With 30 pass attempts today, C.J. Stephens has thrown 27 more passes in
the last two weeks than he had in the previous four years.
Senior writer Andrew Jones is in his seventh year with Inside Carolina.
He hosts a late afternoon radio show on ESPN Radio, WMFD AM630 in Wilmington
and can be reached via e-mail at: AndrewJones@AM630.net.