- UNC leads the all-time series 65-32-2. The Carolina-Wake rivaly is the
oldest in the state of North Carolina and second oldest in the ACC. The UNC-Virginia
series is the oldest in the South.
- Because of injuries, this was UNC's starting offensive line today: Skip
Seagraves, soph. (LT), Steven Bell, RS/Fr (LG), Jason Brown, Soph. (C), Kyle
Ralph, Fr. (RG), Jeb Terry, Jr. (RT).
- The crowd of 31,476 was the largest at Groves since UNC and Wake met on
Nov. 8, 1988.
- The last time UNC was shut out was a 13-0 loss at Florida State in September
- The last time C.J. Stephens started a game was his senior year of high school
- Mahlon Carey led UNC with 47 yards on the ground today. Carolina has yet
to have a 100-yard rusher this season.
- UNC defensive end Will Chapman, who didn't play today, had successful surgery
on his wrist, He has a fracture and partial dislocation. Doctors inserted
a screw and he will be in a cast for at least 10 weeks. He is out for the
remainder of the season.
- Carolina started four freshmen and two sophomores in its front seven today.
The front seven: DE, Tommy Davis (Fr.), DT Kendall High (Fr.), DT Chase Page
(So.), DE Jocques Dumas (Soph.), SAM Jeff Longhaney (Fr.), WILL Clay Roberson
- Aiken's four receptions gives him 118 for his career, which puts him at
7th in school history. Next in line: L.C. Stevens (120), and Octavus Barnes
- Aiken's 43 receiving yards now gives him 725 on the season, and 1,940 for
his career, putting him at 5th all time in UNC history. Next in line: L.C.
Stevens (2,002) and Na Brown (2,086).
- Darian Durant, out for the season with an injury, will finish the season
with 3,703 passing yards for his career, good for 6th all-time in school history.
Next on the list: Chris Keldorf (3,795) and Matt Kupec (3,840).
- Durant has 266 completions for his career, good for 8th on UNC's all-time
list. Next in line: Scott Stankavage (272), and Kevin Anthony (296).
- Durant also finishes with 32 TD pases for his career, which puts him 3rd
in school history. Next in line: Matt Kupec (33), Chris Keldorf (35).
- Entering this weekend's games, the ACC had the nation's best overall record
against schools from BCS conferences with an 8-4 mark. The ACC is also 5-3
on the road in these games and 1-0 at neutral sites. The rest of the nation:
Big Ten 7-5, Big XII 9-8, Pac-10 7-8, SEC 5-8, Big East 5-8.
- ACC teams reaching bowl games since 1992: FSU 10, UNC 8, Clemson 7, Virginia
7, N.C. State 6, Georgia Tech 5, Wake Forest 2, Duke 1, Maryland 1.
- UNC's ACC ranking in various offensive and defensive statistics entering
the weekend (doesn't include Thursday's NCSU-Clemson game): 4th in ACC yards
per game (400), 3rd in yards per play (5.7), Top passing offense (296), 8th
in scoring offense (23.9), 1st in FG kicking (7-8), 8th kickoff returns (19.1),
9th in kickoff coverage (27.8), 9th in turnover margin (-8), 9th in total
defense (444), 9th in yards allowed per play (6.0), 9th rushing defense (212),
6th pass defense (232), 9th scoring defense (32.6), 9th punt returns (4.3),
6th in punting (32.7), 9th in sacks (10), 9th in 3rd-down defense (49.5 %),
8th in been sacked (24), 7th in T.O.P. (28:48), 9th in TDs by defense &
special teams (0), 8th in red zone offense efficiency (14-20).
- ACC teams in the red zone entering this weekend's games (doesn't include
Thursday's NCSU-Clemson game): Maryland - 23-25, 17 TDs, 6-7 FGs, Ga. Tech
- 18-20, 16 TDs, 2-2 FGs, Clemson - 25-28, 18 TDs, 7-8 FGs, Fla. State - 30-35,
23 TDs, 7-9 FGs, N.C. State - 37-44, 33 TDs, 4-5 FGs, Virginia - 32-39, 26
TDs, 6-10 FGs, Wk. Frst. - 31-40, 21 TDs, 10-15 FGs, N. Carolina - 14-20,
11 TDs, 3-3 FGs, Duke - 18-26, 11 TDs, 7-10 FGs
Senior writer Andrew Jones is in his seventh year with Inside Carolina.
He hosts a late afternoon radio show on ESPN Radio, WMFD AM630 in Wilmington
and can be reached via e-mail at: AndrewJones@AM630.net.