- The CBA Draft is tonight at 8 p.m. Kris Lang is among the Top 50 draft candidates listed by the CBA (link) along with several other former ACC players. Lang, currently in Poland with Anwil Wloclawek, scored 19 the other day in a preseason game. Jason Capel is not listed among the CBA Top 50, but is draft-eligible. He could end up in the NBDL in Fayetteville with his dad, Jeff Capel.
- After winning some German titles and a league MVP award over four years, Derrick Phelps left Berlin last month, signing with CSP Limoges of France's Pro A League. "I was a name in Germany," Phelps said in a recent interview with Basket Zone. "I had achieved all my objectives over there. I wanted a change, to have other experiences, to see other competitions, to have other challenges and to achieve other goals."
- Joining Phelps in Limoges is his former teammate Donald Williams. The local hoops web site has published several photos from the team's training camp, including a couple of shots of Williams (link).
- Maybe at some point Henrik Rodl will tire of winning championships. He was a part of the 1993 UNC national championship squad and signed on with ALBA Berlin the following year -- which has won six-straight German league championships. Rodl begins his tenth season with ALBA this fall, after spending the summer on the bronze-medal winning German National team for the World Basketball Championship in Indianapolis.
- Steve Bucknall played last season in Greece for Aris Thessaloniki, but at present is unattached. The rumor mill in England (yes, they also have message boards) says Bucknall may sign on as a player-assistant coach with the Birmingham Bullets of the U.K.'s BBL.
There are few kids who have done a better job at keeping everyone guessing than Brian Butch.