Location: Fayetteville, N.C.
Conference: CIAA (NCAA, Division II)
Colors: Royal Blue & White
Head Coach: Sam Hanger (4th year)
Last Year: 14-17 (8-9, CIAA)
Phillippe Harris (5-11, 180, So.) - 5.4 ppg, 37% 3pt
DeMarcus Bowden (6-0, 175, Jr.) – 3.4 ppg
Brad Deshazor (6-4, 194, Jr.) – 8.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.0 apg
Daryl Barnett (6-4, 200, So.) – 4.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg
Hazel Andrew (6-7, 250, Jr.) – 7.4 ppg, 7.2 rpg
Mike Moses (6-1, 170, Jr.) Harlem, N.Y.
Clarence Ferguson (6-4, 195, Sr.) Miami, Fla.
Andy Gebru (6-4, 200, Fr.) Orlando, Fla.
Jesse Falls (6-0, 195, Jr.) Philadelphia, Pa.
Mark Jones (6-3, 180, Sr.) Jacksonville, N.C.
Antwan House (6-5, 205, Jr.) Salisbury, N.C.
Jadrian Cummings (6-9, 225, Jr.) Phoenix, Ariz.
B.J. Rohrmann (6-10, 265, So.) Berlin, Germany
Slim Wooten (6-8, 210, Fr.) Fayetteville, N.C.
Nathan Ody (6-2, 185, So.) Summerville, S.C.
* Of the 18 players who saw action last season for the Broncos, five return, including two of the top six scorers. FSU is predicted in the CIAA preseason poll to finish 4th in the Western Division and didn't have any players voted on to the preseason all-conference team. “The returning players will dictate how our season is going to play out,” said coach Sam Hanger. “All five players did a great job on building on what they have learned last season and we’ll expect for them to lead the rest.”
* The best player to return is Brad Deshazor, a 6-4 junior from Danville, Va. He is the top returning scorer at 8.7 points per game. “We expect Deshazor to pick up where he left off last season,” Hanger said. “He has improved over the offseason and we look forward to watching him shine game-after-game.”
* Hazel Andrew, a 6-7, 250-pound junior, is the top returning post presence. He started 25 games last season, leading the team with 7.2 rebounds per contest. He had a season-high 18 rebounds against Livingstone College on Jan. 25.
* Guard Phillippe Harris was named to the CIAA All-Rookie team after a freshman season in which the quick Fayetteville native posted 5.4 points per game and shot 37 percent from beyond the arc.
* Daryl Barnett (4.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg) joined last year's team halfway through the season because of football obligations, but is expected to have more of an impact this season and is known for his hustle and active play on the boards.
* Junior DeMarcus Bowden, a 6-0 junior, will be returning to his hometown, as he's a graduate of East Chapel Hill High School.
* Fayetteville State is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state, founded in 1867.
(Thanks to FSU SID Marion Crowe for his assistance and contributions to this preview.)