* Defensive end Linwan Euwell has left the University and will not return in 2011.
* Senior cornerback Charles Brown must sit out the first game of the 2011 season and repay benefits as a condition of becoming eligible to play again, according to a recent decision by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff. The NCAA determined Brown accepted benefits in the amount of $86.94 from an individual identified as a prospective agent prior to the 2010 season. Carolina opens the 2011 season Sept. 3 vs. James Madison.
* Sophomore wide receiver Joshua Adams and sophomore cornerback Terry Shankle - will not be available this spring as they continue to recover from medical issues. A native of Cambridge, Mass., Adams was diagnosed in January with ANCA Vasculitis, an auto-immune disorder that affects his kidneys. He is currently being treated by UNC Hospitals’ Chief of Nephrology Dr. Ronald Falk, and UNC Director of Sports Medicine Dr. Mario Ciocca. His playing status for next fall will be updated later this summer.
* Wide receiver Todd Harrelson, a junior from Chesapeake, Va., will focus on his academics this semester and will not participate in spring workouts.
* Sophomore quarterback A.J. Blue is also fully healthy after redshirting in 2010. Blue played in the first six games as a true freshman in 2009 before tearing three ligaments in his left knee against Georgia Southern. Blue will compete for the vacant quarterback position along with junior Braden Hanson, sophomore Bryn Renner and January enrollee Marquise Williams
* Spring practice will mark the return of freshman tailback Giovani Bernard to the practice field. Bernard tore his ACL on the third day of fall training camp and redshirted after undergoing surgery August 19. He will participate in select periods of spring practice as he continues his rehabilitation.